Copyeditors (Freelancer or Full-time position in Toronto, Canada)
(Updated/reposted Aug 24, 2102). JMIR Publications Inc., publisher of the Journal of Medical Internet Research (http://www.jmir.org) and other innovative and successful open access journals focussing on topics related to Internet and technology in health and health care, is looking for one or more experienced copyeditors for scholarly articles.
Our standard rates are $25-$35 per hour (depending on experience), and we have a cap of 7 hours copyediting per manuscript.
The salary range for full time positions based in Toronto is $45-$70k depending on experience. Full-time copyeditors may grow into other roles such as managing editor or production editor.
- We expect from our copyeditors flexibility, availability, an eye for detail and quality, and speed
- Familiarity and experience with AMA Style (American Medical Association Manual of Style: A Guide for Authors and Editors. 9th ed. Baltimore, Md: Williams & Wilkins; 1998.) is a must
- A sound understanding of how statistics in medicine should be reported is an asset (e.g. How to Report Statistics in Medicine: Annotated Guidelines for Authors, Editors, and Reviewers (Medical Writing and Communication). Thomas A. Lang; Paperback; $39.95)
- Ability to deal with Word Documents
- Ability to turn around manuscripts within 2 weeks (ideally less)
- Ideally, ability to handle 3-4 manuscripts per week (at least 1 per week)
- Experience with OJS 2.2 (online manuscript tracking system) is an asset, but not a requirement
- Willingness to use our novel OrangeX software (integrated in the manuscript management system) to automatically check and retrieve references from various bibliographic databases, and willingness to help with debugging the system (forwarding ideas how the system can be improved)
- Affinity to technology, computer literacy, experience with web-based systems is an asset
- Copyeditors located in Toronto may also inquire about a full-time position (located in downtown Toronto) - please communicate your salary requirements
- edit/clean manuscripts for style and (in particular for non-native writers) language
- mark up the document by applying Word styles to headings
- check the completeness and “face validity” of statistical reporting
- check references (though we have an automated system to check and match journal references, cited books etc still have to be checked)
- archive any cited webpages using WebCite® (http://www.webcitation.org), unless the author has already done so
- check author data in our metadata form for correctness, and edit it if necessary
- query and communicate with authors
- continuously update our wiki-based style guide and make suggestions for improvements of workflow or styleguide-related processes
- forward bug reports to our technical analyst
- full-time / in-house copyeditors may grow into other roles and assume further responsibilities, e.g. as managing editor overseeing other aspects of the peer-review and production processes, and/or representing JMIR Publications at trade shows.
Please email your hourly rates, 1-2 references (editors/journals you edited for) to Gunther Eysenbach, Editor & Publisher JMIR, geysenba at gmail. com.