Contract Term: Temporary
Contract Type: Full Time
Salary/Stipend: $22.500-$31.200 p.a.
Job Location: Toronto, Canada
Application Deadline: applications reviewed throughout 2013
Editing & Proofreading
Update Mar 21, 2013: This has been reposted, as we are hiring 2 more interns
JMIR Publications is an open access academic publisher based in Toronto, Canada, and is the leading publisher of peer-reviewed journals in the ehealth domain. Our mission is to reinvent research communication through grassroots, researcher-driven innovation in every aspect of peer-reviewed publishing, making use of Internet, social media, and mobile technologies, and we are currently expanding into other science domains.
We are seeking enthusiastic recent graduates for the position of Editorial Assistant. This paid, full-time position in our Toronto editorial office (located within the Centre for Global eHealth Innovation at the Toronto General Hospital in downtown Toronto) will last for six to twelve months, and will provide the successful candidate with an excellent opportunity to learn about the rapidly changing environment in scientific communication from an insider’s perspective, to see all aspects of the peer-review and publishing process at different scales, and to be the first to see new research before it’s published.
This position was created in response to a rapid increase of submissions and the creation of new spin-off journals. Under the supervision of the editor-in-chief and working closely with our copyeditors and technical analyst, this position requires a sociable, professional attitude, and an ability to quickly and accurately synthesize large volumes of information. The successful candidate will regularly communicate with high-profile scientists.
- Oversee the activities of established journals and/or the launch of new journals;
- Monitor the review process of scientific articles and ensuring efficient follow-up;
- Assess incoming manuscripts on a daily basis;
- Liaise directly with authors and editors;
- Copyediting of manuscripts
- Build and manage highly-prestigious, academic Editorial Boards;
- Communicate with academic editors to ensure the timely and on-target execution of journal targets;
- Carry out existing editorial strategies and design new business initiatives;
- Assist with marketing initiatives (including possibly presentation at trade shows and conferences)
- Assisting the editor-in-chief in administrative tasks
- Candidates with technical background (Linux/MySQL/php skills or iOS) can also become involved in the development of our editorial platform and mobile apps
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Possess a medicine, science, information technology, library/information science, business or journalism degree with demonstrated scientific experience and interests;
- Excellent writing skills in (American) English (native English speaker);
- Demonstrated ability to quickly comprehend scientific literature;
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative;
- Ability to work effectively in teams and groups;
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software;
- A working knowledge of common social networks and social media platforms;
- Experience in peer-reviewed STM publishing is a plus;
- Must be Canadian citizen/permanent resident, or have a work permit (for students see also http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-coop.asp).
Please send your application including a cover letter with salary expectations, CV and a link to one writing sample, preferably in the format of a press release covering a science subject, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “Paid Editorial Internship” as the subject of your email. We thank all applicants for their interest, but can only respond to those considered for the position.